Ultra high field MRI:
• Available equipment: 7T platform, including multi-transmit capabilities, multi-nuclear capabilities
• Current Research: world leading in first in man research in the area of technology development to study pathophysiology of cerebral small vessel disease (stroke, aneurysms, vascular dementia), ALS, schizophrenia, breast-, prostate-, brain-, upper and lower GI cancer, cardio vascular imaging (atherosclerosis, fibrosis), regenerative imaging (stem cell therapy for cartilage and myocardial muscle repair, valve replacements)
• Future investments: expanding 7T (metabolism), >7T field strengths
MR guided High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (MR-HIFU)
• Available equipment: state of the art MRI (1.5T) guided HIFU
• Current Research: world leading in technology development of MR-HIFU ablations of breast cancer lesions
• Future Investments: infrastructure for local, targeted drug delivery (thermo-sensitive liposomal drug delivery, brain-blood barrier disruption)
MR guided radiotherapy:
• Available external beam equipment: experimental (1), preclinical (1) and clinical (1) integrated MRI – linear accelerator platform for real time, MR guided, adaptive radiotherapy applications
• Available brachytherapy equipment: 1.5T MRI (Ingenia) guided HDR, including MRI compatible robotic applications
• Current Research: the CIS is world leading in MR guided external beam radiation treatments. Future Investments: extending MR guidance into the field of MR guided proton therapy. Design of an experimental MRI guided proton therapy system. Clinical evaluation of such a system within the PMC setting in collaboration with leading industry.
Available equipment: none
• Current Research: with its unique knowledge on MR based, 4D (spatial & temporal resolution) real time conformational studies, MR tissue contrast, combined with new PET tracer capabilities beyond FDG only (e.g. 68Ga-PSMA), the CIS is optimally positioned for the further development and exploration of a fully integrated MRI-PET platform. The uniqueness of the CIS applications will reside in the full incorporation of the MRI-PET based sciences towards therapeutic applications.
• Future Investments: MRI-PET platform for guidance of therapy, based on a 1.5T MRI system (which will discriminate this system from all other currently available MRI-PET systems)