In the Aircraft Systems Engineering Facility, NLR follows a structured approach and can work according to European EUROCAE industry standards and guidelines for:
• system safety assessment (ED-79/SAE ARP-4754);
• software development and qualification (ED-12B/DO-178B);
• hardware development and qualification (ED-80/DO-254);
• environmental conditions and test procedures for airborne equipment (ED-14E/DO-160E);
• development and certification of ground systems (ED-109/DO-278, ESARR6).
EMC: the emission measurement capabilities comprise conducted emission, radiated emission
(electric/magnetic fields), current harmonics emission and flicker and voltage fluctuations.
In the field of immunity the EMC Laboratory carries out tests concerning conducted immunity, radiated immunity (electric/magnetic fields), Bulk Current Injection (BCI), lightning induced susceptibility, damped sinusoidal transients, electrical fast transients, surges, ElectroStatic Discharge (ESD) and voltage fluctuations.
ATR: the range is suitable for antenna radiation patterns in the frequency range 100 MHz–26.5 GHz.
VST: the tests can be done in accordance with any applicable standard including the RTCA DO-160F, MIL-tTD-810F and IEC standards. Also dedicated test procedures can be applied. The VST laboratory is included in the Dutch Accredition Counsil (RvA) register of test laboratories under no. L220, for areas described in detail in the accreditation.
The NLR Obsolescence Centre makes the obsolescence management tool TACTRAC available to small and medium-sized enterprises in the Netherlands. Shared use of one server facility at NLR enables a moderate yearly subscription fee to be charged for this service. TACTRAC can be used in design, manufacturing and support.
The following WEST products are used in the NLR produced Threat Reference Manual (TRM), the reference document for weapon system and proliferation data used by the Dutch Intel and aircrew:
• Kinematic Launch Boundaries;
• IR Acquisition Boundaries;
• Kinematic Intercept Boundaries;
• Radar Detection Boundaries;
• Threat Abort Ranges;
• Weapon Engagement Zone data.
Debriefing software must provide means for effective mission playback, enabling crews to focus on task execution in operational missions and on effective learning in training missions. Data storage and analysis tools should be capable of providing quick and effective mission reports to provide inputs for follow-on missions. In training scenarios, these tools must be capable of providing insight to lessons learned and to report possible incidents and hazards. NLR has the knowledge and experience to provide support and software tools to improve these air force mission support processes.
In the field of GIS and Remote Sensing Data Processing, NLR services are:
• Support at the acquisition of satellite images;
• Information analysis;
• remote Sensing and GIS system design;
• Technology development for the application of geographical information;
• Image processing.